Monday, February 06, 2017

Book Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles



Alex is a Mexican gang member. He joined the gang because he wants to protect his family and find out who killed his father. Brittany is American who maintains her perfect image at school, not revealing to anyone that she has a sister who has a cerebral palsy, a mother who expects her to be at her best always and a father who do not have much time for them. 



They both attend Fairfield High school and currently in their Senior year. Their school is divided by their groups. Mexicans and Whites do not blend together. Their paths crossed when Brittany almost hit Alex's motorcycle at the parking lot and when they are pair up for their Chemistry subject. Their struggle is how to keep each other and bridge the gap between their differences. Alex known as being the bad guy has a good side as well and known for his loyalty though his character is already a cliche. We always love the bad guys with a warm side kinda attitude right. Brittany's flaw is not her imperfect life but her facade of trying to be the perfect girl. The characters really have the chemistry. This book gives you the typical "kilig" (giddy) vibe at the first few chapters. But as I continue reading their story it lost it's appeal on me somewhere near the ending. I am giving this book a 4star cause it made me smile and excited for the characters.

Favorite Quotes:

"You, my friend, are so good at lyin' to yourself you're actually startin' to believe the bullshit comin' out of your mouth."

"Don't ask questions you're not ready to hear the answer to."

"I don't belong here. It doesn't matter, because even if I don't belong in this place, she's here and I want to be where she is."

"If there's one thing I learned, it's that nobody is here forever. You have to live for the moment, each and every day. . . the here, the now."

"The kind of girl who can make you do things you don't want to do."

 “You are the one girl that made me risk eveything for a future worth having.”

“I want to try making things right because picking up the pieces is way better than leaving them the way they are.”

“I want to know how to make this girl laugh. I want to know what makes her cry. I want to know what it feels like to have her look at me as if I’m her knight in shinning armor.”

“One of the things that makes me who I am is the loyalty I have to people I hold close to my heart.”

“But wishes are only granted in fairy tales.”

“You once said you loved me. Do you still?"
My sister is watching this exchange between us. She smiles warmly at me, giving me the strength to tell him the truth. "I never stopped loving you. Even when I tried desperately to forget you. I couldn't.”

“There's a thin line between love and hate. Maybe you're confusing your emotions.” 







No comments:

Post a Comment